Verification Documents

Verification documents can be requested for one of the following reasons:

  • Proof of course completion
  • Employment (i.e. job application) purposes
  • Immigration, i.e. leaving or entering the country while a student
  • Banking purposes (i.e. student line of credit or RESP)
  • RESPs set up through their bank
  • Proof of degree for certain agencies (APEGA, CARNA, ATA/TQS, etc.)
  • Insurance or daycare purposes

Types of verification documents

The type of verification document you need may depend on your reason for a verification document.

Document Reason
Enrolment verification Proof of your registration status (full-time or part-time) in the selected terms
Enrolment verification including courses Proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your enrolled courses
Enrolment verification including courses and grades Proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your courses and final grades
Degree/credential verification Proof of your degree completion and graduation.
Note: if you have recently applied for a degree and a decision is still pending (i.e., your degree has not yet been awarded), you will not be able to request a Degree/Credential Verification document.
Note: The Degree/Credential Verification is released only after any outstanding accounts with any department at the University of Alberta have been settled. Please review the Financial Holds page for more information.

How to request a verification document

  1. Bear Tracks
    Students who have maintained online access can print the verification document directly through Bear Tracks or submit a request through Bear Tracks (under the 'Academics' menu, select 'Verification Documents').

    Note: Verification Documents are delivered through regular postal service, and will not be sent via email. Ensure that you have a complete postal address ready to input.

  2. Fax or mail
    In your written request, please include: 
    • Your Name 
    • Your Student ID Number
    • Type of Verification Document
    • Term(s) desired
    • Number of copies
    • Address to where the Verification Document(s) should be mailed via regular postal service
    • Your signature

    Written requests can be mailed to: 

    Office of the Registrar
    Administration Building
    University of Alberta Edmonton, AB T6G 2M7

    Fax: 780-492-7172

  3. Via online contact form Select “Transcripts and Certificates” as your subject line, and remember to attach your signed request before submitting. Contact form » 
  4. In person
    Visit Student Connect, the Office of the Registrar’s student service centre, on the main floor of the Administration Building. Verification Documents are issued free of charge. Valid photo identification is required (University of Alberta ONEcard, passport, or driver’s license).