Immigration Status Change
If your immigration status changes after your initial application to this university, you will have to submit official documentation in order to have your status changed.
Please submit documents to Student Connect, the Office of the Registrar's student service centre on the main floor of the Administration Building. If you require more information, please contact Student Connect.
- If your immigration status changes to Permanent Resident of Canada, the original Confirmation of Permanent Residence form or Permanent Resident card that was issued from Citizenship and Immigration Canada will need to be copied and certified by the Office of the Registrar.
The form/card may be brought in to Student Connect and a certified photocopy of the official form/card will be made and will be kept in your student file. Once your documents have been received and approved by the Office of the Registrar, your citizenship record will be updated. If you are a registered student in the current term your International Differential Fees will be removed for the current term and on an ongoing basis.
The official Confirmation of Permanent Residence form must be completed and signed by an immigration official in order for your citizenship status to be updated.
- If your immigration status changes to Canadian Citizen, you must bring in your original Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and/or Canadian Passport to Student Connect. A certified photocopy of this certificate will be made for your student file and your student record will be updated.
- If your immigration status changes to Convention Refugee or Person in need of Protection in Canada status, you may bring your original status documentation in to Student Connect. Once your documents have been received and approved by the Office of the Registrar, your citizenship record will be updated. If you are a registered student in the current term your International Differential Fees will be removed for the current term and on an ongoing basis.
If you are requesting a citizenship status change by mail, provide a 'Certified True Copy' of the original documentation. A 'Certified True Copy' is a photocopy of the original document attested to by a Guarantor. Faxed copies of the documentation are not acceptable.
Your Guarantor cannot be a relative and must be in one of the following groups:
- Minister of Religion
- Signing Officer of a banking institution
- legal professional (including a Police Officer)
- university instructor
- Teacher or School Principal
- person occupying a senior administrative position at a University or Community College
- medical professional
- Professional Accountant or Engineer
Note: Your Guarantor's name, position and original signature must appear on the photocopy of your documentation, as well as the date signed, if you are presenting it as a 'Certified True Copy'.
No immigration status changes will be completed without the supporting documentation noted above.
If you are a Graduate student, your immigration status change must be done through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.