Faculty of Arts, Department of Drama
Dates and Location
Workshop I: July 2 – 13, 2017
Workshop II: July 14 – 23, 2017
University of Alberta North Campus
Practical Studies in Drama: Clown Workshop
DRAMA 407 LBL B1 and DRAMA 407 LBL B2
Prerequisite: An interview with the instructor. Students must have consent of the instructor to register.
Explore your comedic side with Jan Henderson, one of Canada's leading clown and mask teachers. For over 30 years, she has been helping people get in touch with their most authentic, playful and creative core self —their Inner Fool — and using it to enrich their personal and professional lives.
Creativity, innovation and the need for inspiration apply to many fields besides drama. The Clown Workshop has been a catalyst for creative awakening for people in areas such as psychology and entrepreneurial ventures, as well as health care professionals, fine artists, and performers.
Through a study of the creative process, Character and Neutral Mask techniques, and the art and philosophy of the Fool, students will discover and perform their own unique Clown characters.
- Create three character masks using clay, papier mache, and paint
- Bring the masks physically and vocally to life through improvisation
- Explore Neutral Mask
- Develop the improvisational skills inherent in the character-driven European style of clowning
- Explore colour and the elements as character sources
- Explore makeup and costume as mask
The course will culminate in a public performance.
Department of Drama